Saturday, November 18, 2006

Thanksgiving and 30 years

Next week is the Thanksgiving holiday. It has been 31 years since I last enjoyed this holiday with the family I was raised with. Yes, the holiday I am remembering of would of been that of my senior year in high school. Ouch!! Since that year I have had 7 Thanksgivings in Colorado and will now have my 24th in Alaska.
My how times have changed... Growing up in New Jersey I remember having turkey and stuffing at 52 Division Avenue. Sitting around the dining table with a turkey on the platter and holding hands to give thanks before the meal. At that time the leaves are still on the ground and some are still falling. It is truly fall.
Today I looked out and saw a pretty sunrise at 9:15 am that was rising up over a frozen river. We have a light dusting of snow and the distant hills are covered.
The temp today said 5 below zero. Yesterday's high was about 10 above and there was a little breeze.
But as I stood in the doorway to take the picture I listened and heard.... not much... I could hear someone splitting firewood across town, I could hear a light wind. There was not any other sounds I could near, no cars, no trucks, no trains.


So what brings all this on.... on the 25th of this month will be the Summit High School Class of 1976 30th Reunion!!! Wow! Is that even possible. I guess so when I settle on the fact that I have a daughter who is turning 21 soon.
I had a great day Oct. 11th when I received an email from a high school friend who had found me by doing a google search. Thank you Eric Dagradi. It was great to hear from you and you started my mind on this journey of time. Since then I have heard from others as well and also gotten the details of the reunion. I so wish I could make the arrangements to attend.
I have yet to go to a reunion due to calendar issues and logistical ones. Although I think it would be a very fun time. They always seemed to fall on times when we had family gatherings.
So here I am this morning... in all my glory 30 years later... this is what I look like right at this instant...Yep, that is me.... this week anyway. For some reason my hair is growing out and have let it keep going. Seems like I do this now about every 3 years or so. When it is not long I usually wear it in a crewcut/flattop . The goatee seems to go every year or so as well. As seen in this picture from fall of 2005.







So, 30 years later and here I am ... still going to a high school every single day and actually spending many more hours in the building now than I ever did when I was 18.
Oh well, life is moving on and we are too whether we want to or not.
But winter is almost here and I do have a new rig to ride so it should be a good one. I hope everyone is having a super fall. I am so thankful that we have the technology to keep in touch with each other and keep people posted on what is happening in our worlds - because truly we are not that far apart. Happy Thanksgiving!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy,
So fun to see and hear of your life in Alaska. After living in Chicago after graduate school and then San Francisco for 17 years, it sounds so relaxing! Keep blogging! B
(But leave those beautiful moose alone! ;-< )
Julie

Anonymous said...

Andrew - nice to hear from you, i remain a type A personality -- although i envy your lifestyle it differs "slightly" from mine in Boca Raton, FL. Your environment is probably a little cooler, less populated and quieter -- and far more winter sports oriented.

I worked in Colorado w/ IBM for 5 years and loved the snow skiing in the winter; the cross-terrain cycling in the summer. Currently i am into competitive (hobby) tennis, atleast until i rupture my Achilles Tendon; i am in week four of recovery. Otherwise healthy w/ spouse and three children. Two of the children are in college (FSU, UF) and one in Boca Raton Highschool. We are gathering for the holidays as well and logiistics are challenging due to "footwork".

Congratulations on your wonderful family and lifestyle -- and topnotch website. The website was highly welcomed as i was thinking about you just yesterday as I fiddled with the highschool yearbook 1976. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and friends. In consulting we figuratively say there is a moose on the table but at your place I bet there will be!

Anonymous said...

Got your recent e-mail and decided to check out your site. Very nice! Sounds like your doing great! I still recognize you! I should have known that you glamor boy/slacker pole vaulters (Eric D. and you) were still in contact with each other. By the way, speaking of pole vaulters, I saw George Duffy on a regular basis at Overlook Hospital years ago when I worked there. What a group you guys were! I'm sure having a cooler of beer over by the vaulting pits also made it more fun. As you may recall, I spent most of my days during track practice pushing the envelope of a teen-age heart attack, doing endless laps around the cinder track and occasionally turning an envious glance over at you guys. I must fill you in on what I'm doing now a little later -- I'm supposed to be billing clients at the moment. Have a great holiday!

Woody C.

Haviland's said...

woody and kabibs- please do fill me in with an email directly. I do not get your address when you comment anonymously. Send an email to ahaviland@wmo.bssd.org.
I'm interested in hearing whats been happening with you.
BTW - Eric's email was the first I had heard from him in the 30 years. Amazing what a google search will turn up eh?
Thanks for commenting but remember to fill me in with a pic as well.
thanks