Friday, July 20, 2007

Dryers that cannot work might be ...

I guess I grew up in a time that all dryers were put on outside walls and that cleaning out the ducts was not an issue because I had never really thought of it :)
Recently we had an annual maintenance check done by Sears and the man said the dryer worked fine but the duct was probably clogged or blocked ... when asked when it was last cleaned I looked around and muttered something about being here for 15 years and probably never.... I thought of the 30 feet or so of duct down in the crawl space and (wisely) asked if a service might do this job. The man said of course and told me to call a chimney sweep!
Now although the painting is becoming more difficult I do enjoy it. The thought of cleaning dryer ducts was not pleasant so off to the yellow pages I went. An appointment was quickly made.
Now although I watched everything the man did I still do not think I will do it next time since each section of cleaning rod costs $80 and he only charged $75 to do the job. Of course, when asked again for the last cleaning date and again I mumbled something about "at least 15 years" he simply smiled and agreed with me that "it sure could be dirty".
So on the first or second insertion of the brush and one length of rod, a little bit of lint came out...

When a second and then third length of rod was attached and again the duct was brushed - again a little bit more came out .... alright already, tons and tons came out ...

The whole job only took him about 45 minutes and was easily the best money spent that day! Especially because as soon as he was done I headed to the Kenai to try some more dipping.

When he was done he assured me that we won 'The Dirtiest Duct of the Month' award!

1 comment:

tiff said...

now that is quite the honor...giggle:) good thing you got those cleaned...I find it funny that a chimney sweep takes care of it...hmmm.