Saturday, June 09, 2007

Summers = Grilling = Bliss

A barbeque grill is a mighty fine thing to behold and the invent of the gas grill certainly was a milestone for mankind. Now I realize some prefer the old charcoal style (such as my dad) but ... I love the simplicity of the switch.
We bought our first grill 15 years ago - it is lovely and dependable and loyal. Of course the 'lovely' is in the eyes of the beholder :-) .
I left it up in Talkeetna, last July, for our friends the Holt's to use as they were busy building their Yurts and did not have a kitchen as of yet. So upon arriving in Anchorage for this summer I was going to go up and get it. But they said they would bring it down to me ...

WOW!! Holy Moly!!

I happened to be outside when they arrived in their pickup truck. Strapped down in the back was NOT my old dear friend but a shiny new model right off the showroom floor!




This baby has three burners with a 'sear and grill' feature which claims I can now cook as good as a restaurant. Also a switch for a light so I can grill at night (you know cause the sun sets so early in the Alaska summer) :-) As well as reversible grills for meat and fish - who has ever heard of such silliness!






















Of course the loss of an old friend is an incredibly hard thing to deal with. The addition of a new friend also goes through a feeling out process. But after the next three nights with some steak, chicken, and ribs I feel like we are getting to know each other.



















Rick and Tiff claim this was the ONLY way they would of ended up with a grill at their place. If so then I am happy for them.






Of course all new things need a little tweaking. So last night I put up some hooks to hang the tools from and tonight we will have burgers, again!

I look forward to all the nights of cooking this summer here in Anchorage as well as taking a few trips to Talkeetna to not only see Rick, Tiffany, and their boys but also to reach out and touch my old friend who has moved on but is living well!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

That new grill made some mighty good burgers :) I can't wait to see how you and your grill are getting along, and your bond has blossomed/improved by my next visit :)

Thanks again for your hospitality Andy- it was perfect :)

tiff said...

OMG...15 years...we had no idea...I feel like we stole a friend...oh no!

Please come visit...anytime...we wont be offended if you just sit out on the porch and pet your old grill...and well if it sneaks into your car...we will look the other way...ha:)

WE had NO idea the relationship you had/have with your grill...I mean we knew you loved it...but...it certainly sounds like it has a place at your table at night.

WE hope that the grills never meet...as some jealousy from the old grill might be seen.

Happy Grillin'! We hope to get into town for some yummy burgers, chicken, steak, etc. off your new friend.

hugs,
tiff:) and the gang